Castroville, the "little Alsace" of Texas, is located on the Medina River
and U.S. Highway 90 twenty-five miles west of San Antonio in eastern Medina
County. The town was named for its founder, Henri Castro, with whom the
Republic of Texas negotiated an empresario contract on January 15, 1842.
Castro's grant began four miles west of the Medina River and comprised
frontier lands in Comanche territory. Wanting to locate his first settlement
on the Medina River, Castro purchased the sixteen leagues between his grant
and the river from John McMullen of San Antonio.